Support Home/Getting Started/My Elance Features & Questions

What are Teams and Guests?

e_jond
posted this on May 01, 2009 05:46 PM

Adding Team Members allows you to delegate work to other members of your business within your Elance account. You can choose to assign specific jobs to different members, depending on their expertise and at the same time retain control over what they can access in your account. Team Leaders (Owners, Administrators and Hiring Managers on jobs in which they are designated as Team Leader) can add existing team members to jobs and create new team members for their account.

Adding Guests allows you to invite non-Elance users (and existing Elancer users not already part of your account or job) to a specific job, giving them visibility into the job and allowing them to communicate in the Workroom. With Guest access, the invited participant does not need to create an Elance account. Team Members can invite guest users to a job.

Freelancers with Small or Large Company membership plans can add Team Members and Guests. All client accounts are able to add team members and guests.

Learn more about Team Members and Guests below.

What roles are available for Team Members?

For client accounts, the following roles are available: 

• Owner will have access to all functionality of the account. 
  • Administrator has access to everything within the account. Only this user will be allowed to manage users, set up financial accounts and schedule withdrawals.
  • Hiring Manager can post jobs, select freelancers and negotiate terms with the selected freelancers. Only for jobs that they are assigned by the Administrator, they can send and access messages and files, approve status reports and timesheets and can make payments. Team Members can invite a guest user to the job, while Team Leaders can also add existing team members and create new team members.
  • Recruiter can do the same things as the Hiring Manager (see above). However, they cannot make payments.
  • Staff can access and send messages and files, view proposals, terms, status reports and timesheets when assigned to a workroom. This role does not allow the user to make financial and contractual decisions.

For freelancer accounts with a Small or Large Company membership plan, the following roles are available:

• Owner: The team member with this role has access to all functionality of the account and cannot be deleted.
  • Administrator: The member with this role can also perform all tasks within the account. Only a member with this role can manage membership status, users, set up financial accounts and schedule withdrawals.
  • Account Manager: A member with this role can submit proposals, negotiate terms, send messages, files, status reports, timesheets and invoices for all workrooms.
  • Staff: A team member with this role needs to be assigned a job for him/her to be able to send messages, files, timesheets and status reports within a workroom. This member won’t be able to access payment information and business terms. 

How do I add Team Members?

If you are a client or a freelancer with a Large Company Membership, you can add unlimited number of team members to your account. Freelancers with Small Company Membership can add up to 5 additional members.

Users with an existing Elance account cannot be added as Team Members with the same Username and Email Address. A new Username and Email Address must be included if you wish to add an existing Elance user to your Team.

To add new members to your team, choose one of the options below:

1. After you've logged into your account, select "Manage" and "My Team" from the menu options. Select "Add New Team Member" to set unique username and passwords for each user and assign them specific roles.

TeamMemberAdd2.png

2. Alternatively, you can easily allow your team members to self-register under your account.  Simply click the "Create Registration Links" option on the left navigation to generate a unique registration URL.  You'll have full control over the types of users that can join via this process.  You can choose the user role for the URL as well as restrict the registration to users with specific email domains. You can then send this link directly via email or embed the link on your own website.

CreateRegLinks.png

Note: Each Team Member must be a real person. Each Team Member profile must contain the Team Member's real name, must comply with all Terms of Service governing Accounts and must comply with the thumbnail image policy for Individual Accounts set forth in the Site Usage Policy.

How do I edit Members on my Team?

The owner or a user with an Administrator access can reset the password or email address associated with a team member by following these steps:

1. After you’ve logged into your account, select "Manage" and "My Team" from the menu options.
  2. Click on the name of the team member to edit their information.

How do I assign Team Members to jobs?

You can assign specific jobs to different members of your team. A team member assigned job "A" will have access to messages within that job's workroom and will also be able to post messages and upload files in it.

To assign a job to a team member:

1. After you've logged into your account, select "Manage" and "My Team" from the menu options.
  2. Click "Select" next to the team member's name and "Assign Job as Client" if you have a client account or "Assign Job as Freelancer" if you have a freelancer account.
  3. Select the appropriate job from the available list and click, "Assign Jobs." 

Note: You can re-assign a job to another team member if you have an Owner or Administrator role.

If a freelancer is hired for a job, the team member who submitted the proposal from the freelancer's team account will automatically become the Project Leader.

How do I remove Team Members?

If you wish to remove a team member's access, follow the steps below:

1. After you've logged into your account, select "Manage" and "My Team" from the menu options.
  2. From your list of team members, select "Delete" from the "Actions" column.
  3. Confirm your selection by clicking "Yes."

What are Hiring Rules?

As a Team Owner you also have the option of setting rules on what freelancers can be hired for your jobs. You can restrict hiring to only freelancers from specific Elance Groups or leave the job open for hiring amongst the entire pool of Elance freelancers.To set Hiring Rules for your Team, follow the steps below:

1. After you've logged into your account, select "Manage" and "My Team" from the menu options.
  2. Select Hiring Rules
  3. Confirm your selection and click "Save."

How do I invite a Guest for job collaboration?

You can invite a guest to a job’s workroom to review files and exchange messages if you are a client or a freelancer with a small or large company membership plan. Here’s how you can do so:

1. After you've logged into your account, select "My Elance."
  2. Click on the Workroom you want to invite the guest to.
  3. The Workroom Messages page will open. In the column on the right, click on Add and then select Guest.
  4. You’ll be directed to “Invite a Guest” page. Enter the guest’s email address, first and last name.
  5. You can choose the duration of the guest’s access to the workroom. You can also add a private note to the guest.
  6. Once you are done, click on the “Invite” button.

Your guest will receive an email which will give him access to the workroom, its messages and files. They’ll be able to exchange messages with your clients/freelancers and upload files

How do I remove Guest access?

To remove a guest from a Workroom, please log into your account and follow these steps:

1. After you've logged into your account, select "My Elance."
  2. Click on the Workroom you have invited the guest to join.
  3. On the right column, you will see a list of users for the workroom.  If you have invited the guest, you can click down arrow next to their name to get access to options to Remove Guest.
  4. Click theRemove Guest link and confirm your request.

Once you have completed these steps, the guest will no longer have access to the Workroom.

Topic is closed for comments